The Warhawks got a boost in Monroe by eluding the Lions, 68-61, in overtime. The first half was hard-fought, and Louisiana-Monroe went into halftime down 33-24. However, the team came back onto the floor with purpose, and put Southeastern Louisiana away at the end.
A couple facts played into this pairing. Last year, Louisiana-Monroe lost 63-60. Since 1980, Louisiana-Monroe is on top, 27-13.
Louisiana-Monroe exploited Southeastern Louisiana in free throw shooting and also took the lead in three-point shooting. The Warhawks made it count when they got to the line, hitting 22 free throws compared to 10 for the Lions. Louisiana-Monroe shelled Southeastern Louisiana with threes for the win, shooting 40% to 18% for Southeastern Louisiana.
R.J. McCray led all scoring against the Lions with 17 points on 41% shooting in 42 minutes. Jayon James came up with seven big assists. The Warhawks now sit at 1-4.
Their next opponent is Southern University at home on December 13th.
Louisiana-Monroe Game Notes:
- The top two scorers (R.J. McCray and Marcelis Hansberry) accounted for 48.5% of the points.
- Jayon James accounted for 34.2% of the team's rebounds.
- Louisiana-Monroe has played in 1 overtime game this season. Over the last 5 seasons, the Warhawks have played in 4 overtime games with a record of 2-2.
- Jayon James recorded the 1st double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jayon James recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
Southeastern Louisiana Game Notes:
- This loss extended the Lions losing streak to 3 games.
- The Lions have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Southeastern Louisiana has lost 27 close games.
- Roosevelt Johnson set a career high with 9 offensive rebounds.
- Jeffery Ricard accounted for 39.3% of the team's points.
- This marks the 1st 20-point game of Jeffery Ricard's career.
Check out the complete Games Notes
Tags: R.J. McCray
, Jayon James